Saturday, March 28, 2009

Applique

Due to recent crafty indulgences at a Jo Ann fabric store that went out of business, I'm not allowed to buy any gifts for a while. I have to make them all.

But don't worry! My pockets are shallow, but my stash is deep.

So anyway, this is probably cheating, but after I made this little baby shower gift for my friend Sheena, I stumbled upon the Five Dollar Challenge, sponsored by the craftabulous Lindsay. And although this is not decorative item for the home, per se, I totally followed all the other rules. Accidentally, of course.



I found a stack of heavyweight Hanes sweats and t-shirts at my local Dollar Tree a couple weeks ago. I could tell the batch was full of "irregulars," and a lot of the clothing had visible flaws. But I parked myself on the floor like any persistent dollar shopper does, and sorted through that stack until I'd found a couple baby t-shirts and a pair of baby sweatpants that looked perfect.

I brought them home, dug out some fabric, buttons and embroidery floss from my stash, and got to it. (My inspiration for the dragonfly design came from a project featured in this book.) I can point out lots of flaws (puckered stitching, messy seams), but I still like the end result. And with any luck, so will Sheena's baby.

Total spent: $2.00

And as long as you're still here, I might as well show you the little shirt I made for Stephanie's baby boy. (I also made matching pajama pants and a burp cloth in the firetruck flannel, but I didn't include those in the photo. Why? Because I'm an idiot.)

This one only cost $1.00, because I made the (invisible) pants myself.

You can't tell this from the photo, but my favorite part is that the dog's ear is fuzzy. Like a dog's ear. Here look.

Yeah, there's some genuine dog hair stuck to that shirt too. I didn't include that in my cost breakdown, cause my dog gives it away for free.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

blessdtwice said...

TOO cute! I might have to copy you for a shirt for my 2 girls...do you mind? Great job!

Boss said...

Of course! That is, of course you can copy, although I don't consider it copying because I adapted the idea from someone else, and everyone always adds their own flair. Thanks for the compliment. I'd love to see what you do!

Small House said...

WOW, cute and a good deal to boot. Thanks for sharing.
Sandra

PlowgianPage said...

So darling. I love the colors and patterns you've mixed. As for parking your self on the floor at the store and sorting, I do that kind of stuff all the time.

Living with Lindsay said...

Oh, my goodness! I'm in love! So, so sweet!

Boss said...

Wow, thanks for all those nice comments. And for visiting! Come back any time! ;)

debbi said...

adorable!!
(found your site thru Lindsay)