Friday, October 31, 2008

Kristie



Grace cannot stand the idea of a picture being taken without her in it. So I only got in a few shots of this necklace before she jumped in to help. And I can't complain, cause with those big blue eyes, she makes everything look better.

This is actually one of my favorite custom pieces so far. I bought these stone disks from Fire Mountain Gems for next to nothing. (They were in the clearance section, and I needed just a few more items to get my order into the lower pricing category, so buying them actually saved me money.) From the time they arrived they seemed to whisper "Kristie." I was happy to discover she had a birthday coming up so I had a good excuse to listen to the beads. (Always listen to the beads!)

One of the things I like most about this is that I think I really captured Kristie's style. I often see her wearing this, and that makes me really glad.

This was the first time I tried a ribbon closure. I really like the look and the versatility, but after a few months of wear I've noticed the ribbon is looking a little tired. A sturdier cotton or grosgrain might work better. But on the other hand, this ribbon is just cheap by-the-spool stuff (50 cents for like a million feet), so I could replace the ribbon a bunch of times for less than the pricier by-the-yard stuff. Always that balancing act between durability and economy!


I can't take credit for this pink piece because Kristie made it at a jewelry party at my house a few months back. I love it though, and every time she wears it I'm jealous that I didn't think of making it myself. She used beads I'd had in my stash for ages but hadn't figured out how to use.

1 comment:

MMA Lady said...

Wow, that one is really groovy!