Sunday, February 22, 2009

Carol




This angel is for Carol. I knew her birthday was coming up, but I couldn't come up with any ideas for her. Being a jewelry person, I usually notice what people wear, but I couldn't think of a single idea to capture Carol's style. Finally, I just asked her if she'd like to pick some beads out for me to make into something, and she told me she doesn't wear jewelry. Any. Ever. Her skin is too sensitive.

So I made her some jewelry for her Christmas tree. Or her wall. Or whatever.

This design is stolen from a pin my sister gave me for Christmas several years ago. My friend Melissa also makes amazing wire-wrapped angels. Like a fool, I didn't take the opportunity to have her teach me while we lived in the same state, so now I just drool over her stuff from 250 miles away. But I have been wanting to try my hand at wire wrapping for a while. Because I was not making this to be worn, I supersized it. I used ordinary craft wire, not a great choice because it is prone to kinking. But it is inexpensive, so good for learning and practicing. I'm not completely happy with the shape of the wings or the skirt, but it got to the point that the more I played with the strands, the more distorted they got. These techniques definitely require some more practice. I don't think I love it enough to put in the time, but it was fun to give it a try. And overall, I'm pretty pleased with the result.

1 comment:

MMA Lady said...

Beautiful. You've always been a spectacular angel-maker!